Light therapy products round-up 2016
Its that time of year again, the winter blues are upon us. We round-up the best lightbox therapy products of 2016. Following on from yesterdays post about seasonal affective disorder, we review the best light therapy products of winter 2016.
Light theray provides broad spectrum light to stimulate all of the eye’s photoreceptors. HappyLights offer photopic light (primarily stimulating the cones) and scotopic light (primarily stimulating the rods) to reduce the size of the pupil, relaxing the eye for more comfortable light therapy. Melanopsin helps set the body’s daily cycles and is triggered by Natural Spectrum Light. Scientists have demonstrated that bright light therapy can act like daylight to restore balance, mood and energy.
So without further ado, the round-up!
Verilux HappyLight Liberty Personal - Score: 4 / 5
- 6.3 x 3 x 7.4 inches
- HappyLight Liberty energy lamp provides safe, comfortable natural spectrum light therapy in a compact solution.
- 5,000 Lux moderate UV filtered output for extended daily use. Light therapy can help improve your mood and combats sleep issues by resetting your circadian rhythm
- Compact, weighs only 1.5 lbs., perfect for small spaces and on-the-go portability.
- Durable, long lasting, and safety tested to the highest standards of compliance.
This light is exactly what I hoped it would be: bright, compact, and effective. It puts out quite a strong beam, and lmost made my eyes ache a bit when I turned it on for the first time because my eyes aren’t accustomed to the brightness. I really like the size and shape of this Happy Light. I think the 5K Lux is very sufficient
NatureBright SunTouch Plus Light - Score: 4 / 5
- Dimensions: 9 x 6 x 13 inches ; 1 pounds
- System includes 10,000-lux light therapy and negative ion therapy
- Balances your body clock, leaving you feeling rested, refreshed, and nourished all over
- Not to be used by people with Bi-polar disorder
- Recommended by Columbia Department of Psychiatry and the New York State Psychiatry Institute
Circadian Optics Lumos 10,000 LUX - Score: 4.5 / 5
- Dimensions: 14 x 1.5 x 3.5 inches ; 1.3 pounds
- Powered through a USB port - eliminating the need for an AC adapter and cord. This truly portable lamp allows for easy packing while traveling and reduces clutter on your desk.
- Offers an effective but safe level of brightness. 60 edge-lit, 5500K daylight LED lights provide a diffuse and even light across the entire panel at the optimal color temperature.
- LED lights are highly energy efficient and rated to last for more than 100 years of daily use. You will never have to replace expensive light bulbs ever again.
- The Lumos produces full-spectrum light (CRI >90). This means a higher quality light that more closely mimics the qualities of natural sunlight.
It is so versatile, convenient, and bright. I love the 3 brightness settings. It can be twisted into half a dozen or more positions to aim it perfectly where you need it. It even has a hole for hanging it from the wall! I have bought 2 bright light lamps before and they were so big, bulky, and inconvenient that I never used them much and eventually gave them to other people, but this one is a keeper!
Sphere Gadget Technologies Lightphoria - Score 4 / 5
- Dimensions: 6 x 6.5 x 1 inches ; 15.8 ounces
- Portable light system emits 10,000 lux wide-spectrum light
- Selectable intensity levels and programable 15, 30, 45 minute timer
- Sleek and compact lightweight design perfect for travel. 110v-240v worldwide-compatible AC adapter included
- Provides natural soothing glow; mimicking real sunlight
Carex Health Brands Day-Light Sky - Score: 4.5 / 5
- Dimensions: 12 x 15.8 x 31.1 inches ; 9.4 pounds
- 10,000 LUX of balanced White Light for eye safety
- Glare-free diffuser filters 99.3% of UV
- Meets the strict therapeutic criteria of leading experts. Contemporary, attractive and multi-purpose lighting system.
- Features BrightZone TM Technology
- Lamp and a high quality task lamp that emits clear, non-glare light
It has the right lumens, a lens to protect you from UV, is pretty sturdy, There is no flickering or glare of any kind, just ‘warm’ light. This is the lamp version. The base is heavy which makes it quite sturdy. The ‘light box’ part of this lamp is about 10”x13”, the height is about 24” at almost full stretch (you can adjust the height and angle). When you are doing your session it says you should have this at a 15 degree angle. Then you can bend the neck down to make this an incredible task lamp. Nice white light to work with, no glare. Good for craft/detail oriented work. The brochure states that you shouldn’t use this lamp after 8pm as it will wake you up too close to bedtime. After all, a big part of light therapy is to regulate your sleep cycle. This brand is recommended by the Center of Environmental Therapeutics
Northern Light Technology Flamingo - Score: 4 / 5
- Dimensions: 7 x 2.5 x 13 inches ; 10.6 pounds
- Offers 10,000 lux at a comfortable distance of 12 inches, UV blocked
- Full Spectrum Lighting
- Stands 4 feet tall fully assembled with a rotating head which allows you to angle the light for maximum comfort
- Electronically powered ballast assures reliable performance with no flicker and no hum
- Made in Canada following strict CSA safety guidelines, Canadian Standards Association
The Northern Lights does seem to put out a light similar to the others, although it seems a little less blue/more yellow. It does indeed feel like sunlight. There is no timer so I can use it as, well… a lamp. You can rotate the head along it’s long axis, thus you’re able to aim it down while sitting or up for a flood effect. It’s at a good height for using it while sitting, standing at something aroung 3.5 to 4 feet tall. Grey mornings are no match for this lamp.
Luminette 2 - Wearable Light Therapy - Score 3 / 5
- Dimensions: 7 x 1 x 6 inches ; 2.2 ounces
- Light, wearable and pocket-sized
- Clinically proven to be as effective as a 10,000 lux lamp
- Rechargeable; one charge lasts for 10 sessions. Provided with a charger with US plug
- Blue-enriched white light with 3 intensities (500, 1,000 and 1,500 lux)
- Designed to keep vision free
Best value: Verilux HappyLight Liberty Personal
Weirdest: Luminette 2 - Wearable Light Therapy
For those who want to understand seasonal affective disorder better: Winter Blues - Everything You Need to Know to Beat Seasonal Affective Disorder